Friday, March 18, 2011

Apocalypse Now?

I love doing puns for the title, but I think this matter may be too much to laugh about.

First, sorry for the late post. My wife and I went on a trap. She went through the Xray scanner, I opted out. The TSA lady told me it wasn't xrays, despite the many articles I could dig up proving her wrong. I got felt up, the guy that did it didn't buy me dinner, but I got a foot massage (pat down rather) and my wife got zapped. She claimed that it made her feel dizzy. I digest.

Ok, for the record I am not just jumping on the bandwagon here...Yeah Derek Gilbert did a VFTB about it (and much better than I could) and LA Marzulli has brought it up, and I'm sure the Christian blogosphere is ablaze with this. Chris White and Tom Bionic have done an awesome study on this as well in their verse by verse series. I highly recommend it.

But for the record, I wrote an article about this topic last year (I think) and it was published in a local Christian paper. I admit that I had to pull a few punches when I wrote it, but the end result was what I had looked for. I wanted it to serve as a warning to believers to get right with Christ. Things weren't quite as extreme then, so I was OK with it. But with the earthquake in Japan things are different.

So when I undertook that article, I really thought we were entering the birth pangs and that Christ was returning soon. No, I didn't set a date, and no I had no special revelation from God, other than what is written clearly in the Bible. Now I feel that His return is closer than ever. No, He will not be returning on May 21.

Now let me qualify this, the Bible said, over 2000 years ago, that His return was soon. So when I say soon, I don't mean like next week, but rather that He can pretty much come back any time He wants, once the Father allows it. What causes me to feel this way is that I see things in the news lining up more and more to be in line with scripture. In other words, parts of Bible prophecy are beginning to play out in real time.

Where am I getting this from? Matthew 24, and Luke 21. Now, prophecy I believe (as do other great teachers like Chuck Missler) is cyclical, in that there is a near future fulfilment. Now, I just want to get into the meat here, so let's go. I believe that this partially had some fulfillment when Jerusalem was destroyed, but many prophecy scholars agree that there is some future fulfillment to occur. Those should be obvious.

This is what I am seeing in the news, and I think that this is a wake up call to us in the Body of Christ to get our act together. If you are not a believer, please consider the news headlines the last few years, and that they have been getting worse, and not better. Also note, that Jesus Christ foretold this 2000 years ago, and we are seeing it today. I hope and pray that this will lead you to Jesus Christ.

I believe that we are entering the birthpangs that Christ warned us about.

First:

Matthew 24:4 – 5

Jesus told them, "Don't let anyone mislead you.” For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah.' They will lead many astray.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Mat&c=24&v=1&t=NLT#top

Keep that handy, and why not grab Mark 13 and Luke 21 while you're at it. Read through them all on your own, then come back and pick up here.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Mar&c=13&v=1&t=NLT#top

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Luk&c=21&v=1&t=NLT#top


{Mat 24:3 NLT} - Later, Jesus sat on the slopes of the Mount of Olives. His disciples came to him privately and asked, "When will all this take place? And will there be any sign ahead of time to signal your return and the end of the world ?"


Now picking up with what I, and some other prophecy folks think are signs that Christ will return soon. I'll paste the scripture, then tell where it has or is being fulfilled. If applicable, I'll post from each section where they overlap. The above is similar all across.


{Mat 24:5 NLT} - For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah.' They will lead many astray.

{Luk 21:8 NLT} - He replied, "Don't let anyone mislead you. For many will come in my name, claiming to be the Messiah and saying, 'The time has come!' But don't believe them.

{Mar 13:5 NLT} - Jesus replied, "Don't let anyone mislead you,
{Mar 13:6 NLT} - because many will come in my name, claiming to be the Messiah. They will lead many astray.

There are many folks even in more recent years that have claimed to be the Messiah. Here's a list of those who claimed themselves to be the Messiah, or were said to be so by their followers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_messiah_claimants

That's a big ol' check in my book.

Next, we have wars and rumors of wars


{Mat 24:6 NLT} - And wars will break out near and far, but don't panic. Yes, these things must come, but the end won't follow immediately.

{Luk 21:9 NLT} - And when you hear of wars and insurrections, don't panic. Yes, these things must come, but the end won't follow immediately."

{Mar 13:7 NLT} - And wars will break out near and far, but don't panic. Yes, these things must come, but the end won't follow immediately.

There have been numerous wars since Christ's time. Some might argue that the 20th century have has been the bloodiest of all. World War I & II obviously would qualify as partiall fulfilling this in my line of thought, as they were wars that broke out. Wikipedia has a list of current conflicts, some are now in a state of cold war, some are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_military_conflicts

And of course there is alot of unrest in the Muslim world. Libya is having a civil war, the UN today just authorized military action, then nothing happened. The present unrest will likely fester into something really bad before long. Then there's the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that have been ongoing for close to 10 years.


{Mat 24:7 NLT} - The nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other, and there will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world.

{Luk 21:10 NLT} - Then he added, "Nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other.
{Luk 21:11 NLT} - There will be great earthquakes, and there will be famines and epidemics in many lands, and there will be terrifying things and great miraculous signs in the heavens.

{Mar 13:8 NLT} - Nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other, and there will be earthquakes in many parts of the world, and famines. But all this will be only the beginning of the horrors to come.

Ah, here we go...more nations procalaiming war, we see that like I mentioned with this Libya thing. Then, Matthew 24:7 mentions famine. Luke 21:11 does too, but with epidemics as does Mark 13:8. Here is a bit on famines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines. worldhunger.org gives an estimate of 925 million hungry (starving?) people.

I don'thave figures on epidemic deaths, but AIDs we all know is a large problem and killing many. We also get an occasional bird/swine flu that kills some. AIDs alone is a big enough problem.

Then we get to what has been the foremost in my mind, that is Earthquakes. Earthquakes in many parts of the world. Diverse places if you will. This kind of got me started on this whole fixation to start with. Many experts say that there has not been an increase in Earthquakes. This is a half truth. Here is a list of the total number of earthquakes since 1990.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/info_1990s.php

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/graphs.php


The half truth comes in that there are not necessarily more quakes, BUT there are more of higher magnitude quakes AND there is an overall upward trend of earthquakes. You'll have to go check it out if you don't believe me.

From 1990 - 1999 there were 1492 EQ 6.0 or higher. From 2000 until right now, there are 1778 6.0 or higher. 8.0 and higher have definitely seen an increase. Also compare as a general trend, in 1990 there were a total of 16590 EQ, which hit the 19K's and 20K's throughout the 1990's. Compare this to the 2000's where we had 22256 EQ with totals in the high 20K's and low 30K's for much of the first decade. 2008 we hit 31777, and 2010 was in the 20K's again. It really is worth checking out and putting into Excel.

Luke 21:11 Christ mentions "there will be terrifying things and great miraculous signs in the heavens."

What does He mean by this?

I don't have links, but you should recall the Norway spiral. I don't believe that was a rocket. I don't know what it was, but it likely wasn't a rocket. The magnetic north pole is also moving, so much so that a number of airports had to rename their runways. Then there's the UFO over the Temple Mount, yes at least one video may have been a hoax, but as far as I know, there is at least one video that hasn't been satisfactorily been debunked. Then of course there is the whole UFO phenomena to start with. I think in regards to this signs in the heavens, we've just been getting started.


{Mat 24:8 NLT} - But all this will be only the beginning of the horrors to come.
{Mat 24:9 NLT} - "Then you will be arrested, persecuted, and killed. You will be hated all over the world because of your allegiance to me.
{Mat 24:10 NLT} - And many will turn away from me and betray and hate each other.


{Luk 21:12 NLT} - "But before all this occurs, there will be a time of great persecution. You will be dragged into synagogues and prisons, and you will be accused before kings and governors of being my followers.
{Luk 21:13 NLT} - This will be your opportunity to tell them about me.


{Mar 13:9 NLT} - But when these things begin to happen, watch out! You will be handed over to the courts and beaten in the synagogues. You will be accused before governors and kings of being my followers. This will be your opportunity to tell them about me.
{Mar 13:10 NLT} - And the Good News must first be preached to every nation.
{Mar 13:11 NLT} - But when you are arrested and stand trial, don't worry about what to say in your defense. Just say what God tells you to. Then it is not you who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit.
{Mar 13:12 NLT} - "Brother will betray brother to death, fathers will betray their own children, and children will rise against their parents and cause them to be killed.
{Mar 13:13 NLT} - And everyone will hate you because of your allegiance to me. But those who endure to the end will be saved.

So this, i think there was definitely alot of persecution over the centuries of Christians, especially early on. But it hasn't stopped, and I think it will get worse. http://www.persecution.com/public/newsroom.aspx?clickfrom=bWFpbl9tZW51

Not to mention that I think many will think they are serving God and will betray true believers to churches. There is a sharp divide in many denominations where they basically abandon God's word to allow sinful things to go on. There are gay clergy, false prophets like in the dominionist movement, many Christians don't even believe in demons or the supernatural and others who are inclined to see us "fundamentalists" as a threat to them because we hold to the true Gospel. It's not happening yet in America, but I can tell there is definitely some anti-Christian leanings. Just look around. I would say it's not too far of a stretch to see persecution happening in America and "free" countries. When, not if, we are delivered up, do not fear:


{Mat 24:13 NLT} - But those who endure to the end will be saved.

{Luk 21:14 NLT} - So don't worry about how to answer the charges against you,
{Luk 21:15 NLT} - for I will give you the right words and such wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to reply!
{Luk 21:16 NLT} - Even those closest to you--your parents, brothers, relatives, and friends--will betray you. And some of you will be killed.
{Luk 21:17 NLT} - And everyone will hate you because of your allegiance to me.
{Luk 21:18 NLT} - But not a hair of your head will perish!
{Luk 21:19 NLT} - By standing firm, you will win your souls.

{Mar 13:11 NLT} - But when you are arrested and stand trial, don't worry about what to say in your defense. Just say what God tells you to. Then it is not you who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

Next we have

{Mat 24:11 NLT} - And many false prophets will appear and will lead many people astray.

There are many of these. Channelers and New Agers are everywhere. Blossom Goodchild (if you're reading, God love's you, seek His Son Jesus!) who predicted (Prophesied) that a UFO would appear, it didn't. Others, I don't want to name names, but there's alot in the New Apostolic Reformation, and certain "purpose driven" ministries. If you really need proof on this one, let me know.

{Mat 24:12 NLT} - Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold.

Read the news any time. Again, if you need examples, go read any 3-4 mainstream news websites. If you're still not catching it, let me know.

And here is our hop in this time:

{Mat 24:13 NLT} - But those who endure to the end will be saved.


{Mat 24:14 NLT} - And the Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, so that all nations will hear it; and then, finally, the end will come.

{Mar 13:10 NLT} - And the Good News must first be preached to every nation.

This one is well under way, and it seems that Jesus Himself is doing this in some way. There are many stories of Muslims dreaming about Jesus. I have heard this not only in many podcasts, but from missionaries in my home church as well. And they don't even listen to these podcasts.

OK, this has gone on quite longer than I had thought. I was going to just do Matthew 24, that's it, but then I really felt the urge to go through them all. I will drop off here, as there are still some major chunks to go. I hope that so far you can see that some of this has already started. I wouldn't say we are well into the birthpangs, but I think we are just entering them. I thought a few years ago that we were in them, but this feeling is more sure to me. But, then don't believe me. Pray to God, look through the word and see what He tells you. In any event, it's better to repent now while you still have a chance. Even if Christ tarries for a while, each one of us has no clue how long we will be here.

So, i leave you with this for now, in the event that something crazy happens in the coming days.


{Mat 24:23 NLT} - "Then if anyone tells you, 'Look, here is the Messiah,' or 'There he is,' don't pay any attention.
{Mat 24:24 NLT} - For false messiahs and false prophets will rise up and perform great miraculous signs and wonders so as to deceive, if possible, even God's chosen ones.
{Mat 24:25 NLT} - See, I have warned you.
{Mat 24:26 NLT} - "So if someone tells you, 'Look, the Messiah is out in the desert,' don't bother to go and look. Or, 'Look, he is hiding here,' don't believe it!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all of your points outlined here, and that we are indeed seeing "birthpangs" occuring quite regularly now...

    I also affirm that you are not jumping on anyone's "bandwagon", because I know that these conclusions should be plain to see for anyone who takes prophecy seriously and actually believes what the Bible has to say about all this...

    I was being drawn to the same conclusions myself, before I ever came across guys like Marzulli and "Dr. Future" and all of them... Hearing their take on everything only served to reaffirm what I was already seeing myself. The thing about all of this that is so interesting to me, is that the "signs" are so unmistakable and yet it really all boils down to the question of whether or not people are willing to see what is happening before our very eyes. For those who their faith in the kingdoms of this world, they will never accept the idea that Christ is coming to do away with it all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen D!

    I agree I was similar. At first I heard them and was kind of like, "um...yeah. OK" but the more I looked at it, and checked the Bible and prayed, the more I saw that I was the crazy one. God's wisdom appears foolish to man. That's why we need Him and His Spirit to make it clear to us.

    ReplyDelete